Release 2 stock birds

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
isaacs

Release 2 stock birds

Post by isaacs » April 20th, 2017, 9:53 pm

I'm gradually downsizing the amount of stock birds I have now which was always the plan once I had my ybs bred out as can't keep everything.

I've let a few go in recent weeks fly back to previous owners which was agreed in advance they were pleased to get them back.
Its now getting harder deciding which stays and which goes now but I rashly hastily released 2 cocks off out the stock loft this morning and they flew about and i then had to pop out all day. I
came back and they were sat on stock loft roof looking to get back in bless em.

I rattled feed tin then opened door slightly adjar as no sputnic in stock loft and then one by one they gently flew down to the ground and casually and calmly walked back into there loft lol bless em. All other stock birds when released went home to there previous owners.
I'm glad these two came back really as was bit hasty getting rid.
Probably gonna keep these now as its clear they didn't want to leave and they were my favourite breeding stock cocks behind the Graham Walker ones I have.

Surprised me them coming back as all my stock birds were only ever brought in for breeding ybs which they did that well but they've not really seen the outside only maybe through couple mesh windows!.

Do you think these birds would break permanently to my lofts? Any experience with this? could you race them, are they likely to take off one day to there previous home(loft), could they draw the ybs off with them if out together?.

trench

Re: Release 2 stock birds

Post by trench » April 20th, 2017, 10:14 pm

From past experience I would say once they have been out and come back in they will probably stay now. There is always the chance they may still go back to where they came from, how old are these 2 ???
If you aren't set up for them to come in easily then I would keep them in and wait to see how their babies perform. If you are able to get them in ok then let them out again, they will almost certainly be fine now. The time they may go looking for their old loft is likely to be once you have separated them from their mates.
They shouldn't take your older youngsters off but there is the possibility that they may take the younger ones off but I wouldn't worry too much.
If they are young enough then once broken properly there is no reason why you can't race them. I wouldn't race them this year though, wait and see what their progeny do.
Atb

Andy123

Post by Andy123 » April 20th, 2017, 10:21 pm

I would say that the 2 cocks are now broken and you could quite easily let them out without any worries. You could race them if you wanted too but I would wait and see what their youngsters are like first, you may just want to keep them as stock birds. You could still move them to your other loft/ section so that they can fly out if you can't let them out of the stock loft. The other thing to remember, if you are going to keep them you would be better having them transferred into your name. You would have to do this anyway if you wanted to race them. You won't have any problems with them being out with your young birds.

isaacs

Post by isaacs » April 20th, 2017, 10:29 pm

OK cheers Andy for the helpful advice and these particular birds are already registered in my name mate.

Andy123

Post by Andy123 » April 20th, 2017, 10:53 pm

That's good. Well sounds like their with you to stay now :D hope they do well for you, racing or breeding what ever you decide.

isaacs

Post by isaacs » April 20th, 2017, 11:07 pm

He's been in races up north and I'm down south so this bird may get the chance to see the whole country haha.

Graandad to one of these cocks was a good bird apparently won Scottish national was a pure black bird.The cock I have is blue chequered but he threw out a pure jet black yb so may have a throwback on my hands. Gotta be wishfully thinking in this game.
Atvb Andy ,;-)

buster121

Post by buster121 » April 21st, 2017, 6:48 am

Hope they stay for you and breed winners

devo56

Post by devo56 » April 21st, 2017, 7:16 am

I have a hen that won a race, she was put straight to stock. When i got her a few weeks later she got out and went straight back to its last owner. I am pleased to say she is broke out to my loft, and i have been training her. She is a GB 14 bird so she is off racing this week, we will see how she goes.

Andy123

Post by Andy123 » April 21st, 2017, 8:09 am

I have successfully broken and raced pigeons that first raced in West Sussex and the in Cornwall and then in Somerset including a hen that won for me from Lerwick 650 mls into Sussex. She didn't race in Somerset but was broken and flying out.

isaacs

Post by isaacs » April 21st, 2017, 2:38 pm

Tar buster :-) anf good to hear Andy.
Dev hope your hen does well let us know

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”