Hopefully chicks out next week, advice welcome

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
isaacs

Hopefully chicks out next week, advice welcome

Post by isaacs » January 12th, 2017, 11:04 pm

I'm expecting eggs to hatch early next week..touch wood lol.

I've read up on what to expect etc but any advice would be very welcome and helpful.
I can only imagine the nest to get filthy quickly if couple chicks in there all day, how often do you clean nest? and do I clean nests from the day after hatch or do I leave chicks alone in nest for few days to not unsettle them and the parents?.

devo56

Re: Hopefully chicks out next week, advice welcome

Post by devo56 » January 12th, 2017, 11:15 pm

I just leave them once i know eggs are hatched, just check daily and also keep my recording to date. At all times keeping a calm loft, i clean out daily so i pick the bowl up and move to other side of box, then clean that area. The parents of the youngsters may be still sitting in bowl, so they do get to trust you.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » January 13th, 2017, 5:28 am

bit late now asking about advice for me leave alone till you ring them turn them over see the vent is clean and dry then put back till weaning I do if possible just feel the ring has not slipped off but I don't lift the yb to do this what you need is a few books on breeding and racing pigeons good luck george

buster121

Post by buster121 » January 13th, 2017, 6:46 am

When first hatched I leave a couple days, just cleaning around bowl after that I move bowl every day to clean, and change bowl contents every few days
see you now have 3 different answers from the 3 replies which shows everyone has there own ways

isaacs

Post by isaacs » January 13th, 2017, 7:11 am

rainbow wrote:bit late now asking about advice for me leave alone till you ring them turn them over see the vent is clean and dry then put back till weaning I do if possible just feel the ring has not slipped off but I don't lift the yb to do this what you need is a few books on breeding and racing pigeons good luck george
I've been reading up since last July rainbow and have experience in breeding other birds as well.
I don't think its too late to just get a few last minute advice/tips at all tbh. I'm not one to just wing it.
Most of time I already know the answer its just nice to get confirmation from experienced fanciers for a piece of mind.
Tar

isaacs

Post by isaacs » January 13th, 2017, 7:16 am

Thanks devo and buster.
I will leave a couple days to settle and get dry from hatching then clean daily.
Thanks

PVDMR

Post by PVDMR » January 13th, 2017, 8:39 am

Just leave them to it....
But I Do clean all the Crud out daily around the nestbowl,and sprinkle a tad of kiln dried around each box!
Also keep an eye on the nestlings growth,some need ringing sooner than others ;)
All the Best!

Andy123

Post by Andy123 » January 13th, 2017, 9:40 am

As others I just leave them alone to start. I just cast an eye over them to make sure all is ok usually when the birds have come off for some food, If a egg fails to hatch properly don't be tempted to help it. If it doesn't hatch on it's own it isn't going to be any good. Once rung I do just check that they still have their rings on day after ringing. I do clean around the bowl, but to be honest not much for first few days. I don't touch the bowls until after weaning but I do put a second nest bowl in the box when the youngsters are about 10 days in case the hen re-lays. Unlike some I do like to handle the youngsters every day once they are about 14 days just to check them over.

ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

Post by ChrisRoscoe » January 13th, 2017, 5:46 pm

i just leave them alone till they look ready to ring then i pop rings on them then leave them alone till i come to part them :) i clean the floor and the nest boxes then im done
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Ruands South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road

trench

Post by trench » January 13th, 2017, 7:47 pm

You already have plenty of different views Isaacs all of which are valid and clearly work. Again I would just look to see the new chicks look clean and well fed, but generally leave alone until ready to ring which is normally around 7 to 10 days. If I think the youngsters aren't progressing as I'd like I wouldn't waste a ring on them, but this comes with experience and knowing your birds. If you ring too soon the ring may fall off so keep an eye out for that. I like to handle them regularly after ringing too so I can monitor their growth and to get them used to being handled. I would clean the nest box but wouldn't worry about the nest bowl until the young are near weaning age. Atvb.

Return to “Breeding, Strains & Families”