Weaning ybs

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
isaacs

Weaning ybs

Post by isaacs » January 29th, 2017, 9:53 pm

I'm a bit nervous tbh weaning my ybs away on there own. Chicks look big, healthy and as they should for there age but they don't really do a lot haha. Dont get me wrong they are alert and can walk but they just sit in the nest all day and night. I thought they would be getting restless to get out of nest but they look happy and content to stay there tbh lol.

When I separate my ybs from parents does anyone put a hen in with them to help show them to the feed and water etc?. If I don't hear ybs in the weaned loft section squeaking is that a good sign?.

Andy123

Re: Weaning ybs

Post by Andy123 » January 29th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Don't worry about them not doing much, they won't apart from feeding time. They wouldn't be looking to leave the nest on their own until about 30 days old if you left them that long. I would wean between 21 and 24 days old, as said before if you can wean 4-6 together to start. Even once weaned they won't do much to start with, all sit together in a corner, although should come running when you feed them. After a few days they will start to venture around their section and soon start to fly up to the lowest perches. No you don't need to put any other birds in with them, they will soon find the food and water. Yes it would be a good sign if you don't hear them squeaking all the time. They will to start when you go to feed them, but should then be quite when finished.

ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

Post by ChrisRoscoe » January 29th, 2017, 10:13 pm

I normallyput mine on the floor soon as I see them eating on there own there moved over to there own section
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Ruands South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road

isaacs

Post by isaacs » January 29th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Thankyou very much Andy and Chris,
weaning time is very soon, I'm sure everything be fine but everything is a first time for me at the moment so I appreciate I can ask members like yourselfs advice to put my mind at rest to check I'm doing things correctly.
Cheers

trench

Post by trench » January 29th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Andy123 wrote:
January 29th, 2017, 10:13 pm
Don't worry about them not doing much, they won't apart from feeding time. They wouldn't be looking to leave the nest on their own until about 30 days old if you left them that long. I would wean between 21 and 24 days old, as said before if you can wean 4-6 together to start. Even once weaned they won't do much to start with, all sit together in a corner, although should come running when you feed them. After a few days they will start to venture around their section and soon start to fly up to the lowest perches. No you don't need to put any other birds in with them, they will soon find the food and water. Yes it would be a good sign if you don't hear them squeaking all the time. They will to start when you go to feed them, but should then be quite when finished.
Can't really add much to what Andy has said Isaacs, just wean them around 21 - 24 days and let them get on with it. They will soon get the idea and you will soon wonder what you were worrying about :D At the end of the day you only want good strong pigeons, survival of the fittest, if you do loose any then they just weren't good enough. Atvb

trench

Post by trench » January 29th, 2017, 10:26 pm

isaacs wrote:
January 29th, 2017, 10:19 pm
Thankyou very much Andy and Chris,
weaning time is very soon, I'm sure everything be fine but everything is a first time for me at the moment so I appreciate I can ask members like yourselfs advice to put my mind at rest to check I'm doing things correctly.
Cheers
Sounds like you are doing just fine mate, that's what are here for. Just enjoy the birds the rest will come with time :D

isaacs

Post by isaacs » January 29th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Thanks trench :)

rainbow

Post by rainbow » January 30th, 2017, 1:08 pm

have to agree wean and leave .we all have different views for me I would let them go out when there ready

isaacs

Post by isaacs » January 30th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Thanks rainbow

PVDMR

Post by PVDMR » January 30th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I have glazed pots in each nest box filled with breeding mix,as the youngsters get older and get inquisitive watching there parents eating,will hop out the nest and Will start pecking at the food :)
When splitting the youngsters,they are so used to feeding out the pots,they Also have them ( Pots )in the Youngbird loft for a week,then they go onto a normal feeder!!
I feed maples till they start to perch,as I Don't want Bit eaters ;)
Hope this Helps you!!

Atb

Stu.

Return to “Breeding, Strains & Families”