Introducing two new cocks to breeding loft

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
isaacs

Introducing two new cocks to breeding loft

Post by isaacs » February 23rd, 2017, 8:03 am

Regarding my two new cock's.
I'm a bit reluctant to put them both into my breeding section as I have 7 pairs already on eggs in there and I'm concerned the arrival of two new strong cocks may cause havock in there and crush eggs etc.
There are two unpaired hens in there and spare nesting boxes but you can bet your life the new cocks will want an occupied box and start fighting right on top the other birds eggs.

So i've paired up the two new arrivals with two nice spare hens away from other birds, what I'm trying to do is get them paired up to a hen without the nest box in there and then put them in the breeding loft and hope that the fact they are already paired will cause less problems and just choose an empty nest/box.

Does that s sound ok?.

devo56

Re: Introducing two new cocks to breeding loft

Post by devo56 » February 23rd, 2017, 8:11 am

Get them paired up, and them put them in a box in your breeding loft, lock them in so they dont start entering other boxes, give them a bowl and some straw to let them start building their home. When you are in the loft you can let them out of the box and observe, only when you feel they have taken to their box then you you can let them go about their ways.

isaacs

Post by isaacs » February 23rd, 2017, 8:14 am

OK devo thanks mate, I'll do that

devo56

Post by devo56 » February 23rd, 2017, 8:26 am

isaacs wrote:
February 23rd, 2017, 8:14 am
OK devo thanks mate, I'll do that
The thing is mate, we will all have different views, just keep your loft environment safe and calm.

trench

Post by trench » February 23rd, 2017, 9:36 pm

Dev's advice is sound matey and as he says you want a calm loft. We do all have different ideas, I would imagine that at this time of year both the cocks and the hens will be very receptive. I personally would just select your 2 pairings and shut them straight in a nest box without a bowl. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't fight too much and as soon as they seem fairly settled put a bowl in. When the cock starts calling to the bowl I would try letting them out. If they are happy and comfortable enough in the box you could leave them shut in until the hen lays, this way you can guarantee that only that cock can tred the hen.
Atvb

Return to “Breeding, Strains & Families”